Monday, February 26, 2007

Appetite for Self-Destruction

When I was a kid, I really liked Guns N' Roses. ( Yes, I know YOU probably either love or hate them in retrospect. ) I was loyal all the way from Appetite for Destruction to The Spaghetti Incident ( Does anyone remember that one? ), even towards the end when the alternative trend was starting and they weren't really cool, anymore. I even let them string me along for awhile while I waited for their promised new album. ( I still every now and then hear rumors about its release on the radio. ) And, as tends to happen at that age, I had elevated Axl Rose to hero status, despite the fact that he was obviously completely nuts.

In every article I ever read about him, I noticed that the people who knew him well always said that he could be scary one day and a sweetheart the next. I used to be very attached to this idea that if I could see some good in a person, I needed to hold onto that and try to redeem them. It was a theme for much of my life until I learned the hard way that it often doesn't work out like that.

Is it really that unusual for someone to be like that, to be so sweet sometimes and still be violent and full of rage at others? Definitely not! There are lots of people out there like that. At this point in my life, I know this and I know that I have to just accept that that's the way it is. But, I still think it's fucked up! People shouldn't be able to have two completely different personalities like that. It still baffles me. It makes it hard to know who to trust. And, people can still shock and disturb me when they reveal that other side to their personality.

No comments:

Post a Comment